- Advocate the importance of Good Samaritan policies at college institutions and ensure that student-athletes receive the same protection as non-athletes. Our initial research unfortunately shows otherwise (pls see below under Foundation Reseach). The ultimate goal is to impress upon both college administrations and their athletic departments that policies must apprise student-athletes the same protection as non-athletes. If student-athletes are clear about their rights and are confident that they can reach out for help without risk, then perhaps we can save some lives.
- Bring national attention to the dangerous practice of “JanSporting” (also known as Backpacking, DrunkPacking or Turtling). Jansporting is a relatively new phenomenon on campus yet more than 50% of students know what it is and have seen it done on average 3 times.
- Provide scholarships to college-recruited athletes in financial need who also bear McCrae’s same love of the game, passion, dedication, love of friends and community both on and off the field. Our goal is to increase the amount of the scholarships awarded as our fundraising progresses.
Our initial research conducted via survey shows:
- Athletes are 2.8 times less likely to call for help as they do not receive protection under the Good Samaritan (aka Medical Amnesty) policies.
- Jansporting is relatively new and going on at a shocking level. Although the practice was constrained to younger college age students better than 50% of them knew what it was and had seen it done to someone.
In early 2019, the Foundation initiated funding for research with a team at UNC which is affiliated with the NCAA and other National Health organizations. This team works closely with the NCAA, their Chief Medical Officer and the NCAA’s Sport Science Institute called APPLE. They have taken an interest in the Foundation’s initial survey findings which showed that student athletes are less likely to call for help than a non-athlete as a result of fear of team or personal punishment or lack of protection by a Good Samaritan policy. We will continue to update you with our team’s ongoing research work.
Chris & Dianne Williams
Donations can be sent to:
McCrae James Williams Foundation
PO Box 291
Weston MA 02493
501c3 registered. Tax ID 82-2876024.